The south-western tower contains a ring of eight bells
|Bell||Inscription||Weight (cwt-q-lb)||Year Cast|
|Treble||VENITE EXVLTEMVS DOMINO 1700 S. S. EBOR.||3-2-7 in Ab||1978|
|2||GLORIA IN ALTISSIMIS DEO, 1700 S. S. EBOR||3-1-12 in G||1978|
|3||GLORIA IN ALTISSIMIS DEO, DALTON OF YORK 1788.
THE THREE TREBLES FROM / ST MARGARET WALMGATE
|3-2-11 in F||1987|
|4||FORMER EIGHT BELLS CAST / BY EDWARD SELLER OF YORK / 1729 & 1730 / 1978||4-0-10 in Eb||1978|
|5||JOHN TAYLOR & CO. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1937 *||4-3-3 in Db||1937|
|6||JOHN TAYLOR & CO. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1937 *||5-2-2 in C||1937|
|7||JOHN TAYLOR & CO. * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1937 *||7-2-7 in Bb||1937|
|Tenor||"OUR GEORGE" GIVEN BY GEORGE TAYLOR RAMSDEN / OF THE JUMPLES, ILLINGWORTH. / OCTOBER 1936. / DROIT ET AVANT / 1937 "GET AGATE, OWD LAD, AN' RING 'EM IN FRO' ALL OWER T'PLACE."||10-1-23 in Ab||1937|
Prior to the bombing of the church there was a ring of 8 bells cast by Edward Seller II in 1730. The tenor weighed 10 cwt.
By the time of the Second World War the bells had been unringable and only chimed for fifty years and when the church was largely gutted on 29 April 1942 the 2nd, 3rd and 4th fell and smashed. The remaining five bells were cracked by the heat of the fire. Subsequently, the complete bells and the pieces of those broken were stored in the shell of the ruined church. However, by the early 1960s all apart from the tenor had been stolen. The War Damage Commissioners paid for a new cast iron lowside eight bell frame and for the recasting of the surviving tenor bell and for the provision of new fittings for it. The work was carried out in 1961-2 by Taylor's, and a new clock was made in 1966 by G.R. Newey of York.
Details of the 1961 tenor are as follows:
|Inscription||Weight (cwt-q-lb)||Year Cast|
|SONITU RESCIPCITE MAESTO ANTE JECETIS HUMO 1730 RICHARD WARNEFORD VICAR IOHN MAYER IOHN BUSFIELD CHURCH WARDENS
RECAST 1962 / I ARISE FROM THE FIRE.
|11-2-16 in G||1961|
Its inscription notwithstanding, the bell was actually cast on 21st March 1961.
The New Bells
A scheme led by David Potter saw the installation of the current peal of eight bells. The 1962 tenor bell was removed in 1978 and sold to Holy Cross Abbey, County Tipperary, Ireland where it is to be the future tenor of a ring of 8 there. The back four bells were formerly the back four of an eight bell chime at St Mary's Church, Illingworth, Halifax. The front four of this chime were too light to be used as part of the St Martin's ring, so Taylor's cast four heavier trebles to match the back four bells.
The new front three were recast from the three bells removed at Easter 1978 from the redundant church of St Margaret, Walmgate. The inscriptions from the Walmgate bells were reproduced on the three new bells. The peal was hung during June and July 1979, and the 'new' octave was first rung on 24th July 1979.
Currently the bells are rung by a large group of people drawn from the band at St Lawrence, the Minster and also students from the universities. The bells are rung prior to the morning Service on the 1st and 3rd Saturday ofc the month, usually in the form of a quarter peal. A quarter peal is a set length of ringing (usually 45 – 50 minutes) and the band is normally organised earlier in the week.
Visiting Ringers & bands
Visiting ringers are welcome to join us. It is advisable to check beforehand whether a practice is taking place. The bells are also available for peals, quarter peals and visiting bands. The peal fee is £40 irrespective of success (with the exception of losses due to mechanical failure).
Please contact Kevin Atkinson if you wish to book the bells.
telephone 01904 733793 18 Dove Street, York YO23 1AQ